Painting for sale:
Lucky Star Otter $75.00 Framed $175.00
1. Sea Otters are one of the few animals that use tools. They mainly use rocks, but have been seen using glass soda bottles and cement blocks.
2. Newborn pups cannot sink or dive.
3. Sea Otters have built in pockets under their arms.
4. A group of Sea Otters resting together is called a raft.
5. Sea Otters are the only marine mammalwithout a layer of blubber (fat).
6. Sea Otters’ fur has 10x # of hairs per square inch than we have on our entire head. (humans 100,000; otters 1,000,000)
7. Sea Otters’ teeth are strong enough to bite through the spines of a sea urchin, or crunch a clam shell open.
8. Wild adult Sea Otters eat 25% or more of their body weight a day, or more than 12 pounds of seafood. A 150 lb human would need to eat 37 lbs of food a day!
9. Sea Otters’ diets can consist of: crabs, mussels, clams, scallops, abalone, sea urchins, octopus, squid, snails, sea stars, and fat innkeeper worms.
10. Sea Otters’ only marine predators are humans, great white sharks, and killer whales.
(Information obtained from http://protecttheoceans.org/)